HMRC have issued new guidance for executors and personal representatives on how to register and manage an estate for Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax purposes.

An estate can be registered with HMRC and managed online. It must be registered if:

The estate must be registered by 5 October after the tax year in which it starts to receive taxable income or has capital gains on which CGT is due.

This registration process is for Income Tax and CGT only. Inheritance Tax (IHT) is dealt with separately as it relates to the deceased as an individual and not the tax position of the post-death estate. The focus is on IHT and distributing the assets of the estate to beneficiaries. Often the need for the estate to declare income received and capital gains crystallised during the administration period is overlooked resulting in Late filing and Late payment penalties.

If there is no requirement to register but the estate has tax to pay, then informal arrangements can be used instead. This can be done in writing to HMRC and telling them:

The person registering the estate will need a government gateway account. Once the estate has been registered they can use the online service to:

Useful guides on this topic

Trusts & Estates: What’s New 2020/21
HMRC's latest Trusts and Estates newsletter contains some useful information. Here is our enhanced version.

Trust Registration Service
What is the Trust Registration Service? What trusts does it apply to? What are the requirements and deadlines?

Private client: What’s on? July 2021
A Finance Act 2021 Private Client update for advisers and their clients.

Scottish Income Tax: Trusts & Estates
Scottish Income Tax has applied since April 2016 and is payable by Scottish taxpayers on non-savings non-dividend income only. What does this mean for trusts, estates and their beneficiaries?

CGT: Payment of tax
When is Capital Gains Tax (CGT) due? Can I pay in instalments? What are the penalties if I pay late?

External links

HMRC guidance:

Manage your estate's details 

Register an estate as a personal representative 

Report and pay Capital Gains Tax on UK property: guidance for personal representatives on how to report a gain.

Small acorn
If you like our content come and join us.

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our unique FREE Tax Planning Tips and Advice Guide & our FREE OMB Newsletter.