Starting work, what kind of worker are you? What are the special rules for certain types of worker?

In this part we explain the different rules that apply to different workers.

What kind of worker are you?

When you do work for someone you will either be working as:

When the tax rules treat you as an employee you may not always receive full employment rights and benefits such as sick pay, holiday pay, employer pensions etc.

Basics: employee or not?

If you:

Work directly for an employment agency or staff bureau, and it supplies your services to its customer:

Work directly for an online platform:

Work directly for a non-business customer:

Work through your own company:

Working through an umbrella company


How to work out your tax if you are an employee

How to work out your tax if you are self employed


Starting work: self employed or employed: what's the difference?