HMRC launched a tax disclosure opportunity for Health and wellbeing professionals, which closed on 31 December 2013.

Taxpayers can report undeclared income if they work in a health and wellbeing profession such as:

  • physical therapy; e.g. physiotherapist, chiropractor, chiropodist, osteopath, occupational therapist 
  • alternative medicine or therapy; e.g. homeopathy, acupuncture, nutritional therapy, reflexology, nutrition
  • other therapy; e.g. psychology, speech therapy, arts therapy

How to declare income

You must:

  1. Fill in a notification form by 31 December 2013.

  2. Fill in a disclosure form to disclose and pay what you owe by 6 April 2014.

You can use a calculator (PDF, 64KB) to help you make your disclosure. There is a different calculator if you need to tell HMRC about more than 5 years (PDF, 153KB).

Our Top tips

Take professional advice before making a disclosure:

  • you may well not have to disclose 5 years of figures.
  • you may have a large range of tax deductible expenses and you will need to know what to claim, and whether in some situations you may claim a proportion of certain expenses.
  • you will also need to consider what basis of accounting to use from 6 April 2013.
  • you will need to consider the rules on penalties and how they affect you.

HMRC says that you can talk to its helpline before 6 April 2014 if you need to make a time to pay agreement.

Any taxpayer can make a disclosure to HMRC, if you are not in Health & Wellbeing, or are in Health & Wellbeing and need assistance contact us.