Which PAYE code do I use?

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to taking on a new employee: which PAYE code do I use?

1. Ensure that your employee completes a PAYE starter checklist. This ensures that you have all their personal details as well as details of their previous job and know whether to make student loan deductions.

2. A new employee who has left previous employment should also provide a P45 which contains their previous tax code. You may be able to continue using this tax code: see PAYE Codes: starters/leavers & 0T codes.

3. If an employee has not provided a P45 or a starter checklist you need to double-check which code to use: see PAYE Codes: starters/leavers & OT codes.

4. If you are employing people who are Welsh or Scottish taxpayers, their code should carry a C or S suffix. See Understanding your tax code.

5. If a code looks wrong contact HMRC: Employers: how to confirm an employee tax code

Squirrel ad

Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use www.rossmartin.co.uk as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE SME Topical Tax Update & newletter