How to check your PAYE code. PAYE code error, or the wrong PAYE code? How to contact HMRC.

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to contacting HMRC about an incorrect PAYE tax code. 

You can contact HMRC online or by phone in order to report that your PAYE tax code is wrong.

Use our checklist below to ensure that HMRC details of your wages, pension or other employment benefits are correct in order that they may work out the correct PAYE tax code.

Checklist: Information required:

  • Your National Insurance number.
  • Your contact email address.
  • Your full name, including any middle name(s).
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your weekly amount of any State Pension/State Benefits.
  • Your estimated income for the current tax year (including wages and company work pension).
  • Your employer/pension provider tax reference number.
  • Your employee works number or if you receive a company/personal pension, your pension number.
  • Your company benefits details (including company car, fuel and medical benefits).
  • Your other untaxed taxed income such as income from property or interest.

Click here to contact HMRC online.

Alternatively, you can try and ring HMRC on its Income Tax Helpline 0300 200 3300.

Please note that we are not HMRC, we are just providing you with information to contact HMRC.

Squirrel ad

Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register now to receive our FREE weekly SME Tax News update