The government is introducing a new short-term/holiday let registration scheme and is also consulting on making changes to the planning rules that could result in house owners requiring planning permission to operate a short-term or holiday let. The rapid rise in short-term letting has had a negative impact on the availability and affordability of local rental housing and has increased house prices, particularly in the South West and London.

A new 'Consultation on a registration scheme for short-term lets in England' reveals the government's options for the introduction of a new registration system for short-term lets. Following A call for evidence last year and an analysis of almost 4,000 responses, it has decided on a 'light touch' registration scheme to be operated either by local authorities or the Tourist Office. 

The government notes that there were approximately 257,000 short-term and holiday letting listings in England in 2022, 62% of these are concentrated in the South West (28%), London (17%) and South East (17%). Analysis of call for evidence responses found that, on average, hosts listed 1-2 properties and earned £5,000-£6,000 a year, and that the industry operated in its own ecosystem of support services ranging from online booking services and management to cleaning and maintenance. Previous analysis of Airbnbs in London in 2019 found that 6% of hosts owned or operated three or more short-term lets, but accounted for 31% of active listings.

The new planning consultation, 'Introduction of a use class for short term lets and associated permitted development rights' covers the following areas:

  • The introduction of a new use class for short-term lets.
  • The potential introduction of a new permitted development right for the change of use from a dwellinghouse to a short-term let.
  • The potential introduction of a new permitted development right for the change of use from a short-term let to a dwellinghouse.
  • How flexibility for homeowners to let out their home for up to 30 nights in a calendar year could be provided through either change to the dwellinghouse use class or an additional permitted development right.
  • The introduction of a planning application fee for the development of new build short-term lets.

Useful guides on this topic

A landlord? Start here...
You are about to become a landlord. Where do you start and what do you need to do before you buy? What business structure should you use? 

Airbnb Host: tax overview
What expenses can Airbnb owners claim for tax purposes? How is income taxed? Can you claim Rent-a-Room Relief? How does it affect Private Residence Relief? What are the VAT rules? 

Furnished Holiday Letting
What is Furnished Holiday Letting? How do you qualify for Furnished Holiday Letting? What are the rules for Furnished Holiday Letting?

Buy-to-let ownership: personal v. company?
What is the most tax-efficient option to own buy-to-let property? Personally or via a company? What are the income and Corporation Tax, CGT, IHT, ATED, SDLT, or VAT issues? With tips on profit extraction and other planning points, case studies and links to further guidance.

Property profits & losses: Toolkit (2022-23)
Our Property profits & losses toolkit takes HMRC's version and adds a great deal more information about what you can claim as an individual.

CGT Private Residence Relief
Does short-term letting affect Capital Gains Tax (CGT) relief on the sale of your home?

External links

Consultation on a registration scheme for short-term lets in England

Introduction of a use class for short-term lets and associated permitted development rights

Small acorn
If you like our content come and join us.

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE SME Topical Tax Update & newletter