What is a Personal Tax Account? How do I get one? What can I do with it?

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to the Personal Tax Account.

At a glance

Personal Tax Account (PTA)

  • HMRC launched this account in December 2015.
  • It is intended to make it easier for individuals to review and manage their tax affairs online, together with other interactions with HMRC such as tax credits or child benefit.
  • See below for a list of features and services available through the account.

 Setting up a PTA

  • Before you can set up your account you will need to verify your identity with HMRC.
  • There are two ways to do this:
    • Using your existing Government gateway account. You will have one of these if you have previously submitted a Tax Return online. You will also need a note of your National Insurance number.
    • Using Gov.UK Verify. HMRC will ask you to select from a number of companies who will ask you some questions and check certain documents and financial information in order to verify your identity to HMRC. You will need access to personal documents such as a P60, bank statement, passport or driving license. 
  • Visit www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account to set up or sign in to your account.

What can I do with my PTA?

HMRC are working to increase the number of services and the information that you can access through your account.

Currently, these include the following:

Employment and PAYE

Pension and National Insurance

  • Obtain a State Pension forecast.
  • See details of periods of contracting out and the estimated additional private pension as a result.
  • See your National Insurance payment history and any gap years.
  • Request a deferral of Class 1 National Insurance. 
  • Apply for Class 2 or Class 4 National Insurance refunds
  • View and check Lifetime Allowance protection

Tax credits and benefits

  • Renew tax credits.
  • Check and manage your tax credits.
  • Report changes affecting your child benefit or tax credit claim.

Self Assessment


  • Go paperless: opt-out of receiving paper copies of various notices.
  • Tell HMRC about a change of address.
  • Track forms that you have submitted online.
  • Authorise a friend or family to manage tax affairs on your behalf (need to use the Verify ID check).

Squirrel ad

Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use www.rossmartin.co.uk as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE SME Topical Tax Update & newletter