A temporary extension of the carry back rules for trading losses was announced in the 2009 Budget. HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) have given advice on amending claims.

Companies or their advisers can amend a Company Tax Return at any time up to 12 months after their filing deadline. This deadline is usually 12 months after the end of its Corporation Tax accounting period.

Losses arising in accounting periods ending between 24 November 2008 and 23 November 2010 inclusive can now be carried back for up to three years.

HMRC say that if you now wish to carry back a loss for an accounting period where the normal time limit for amending a return has passed you should contact your Corporation Tax Office in writing to make the claim. HMRC will then review your claim within the revised carry back rules.

Source: HMRC