A new company? What do you need to do for tax and general compliance?  

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide which takes you through the new responsibilities of complying with tax, pay and registration for companies. Subscribers see New companies: Tax registration checklist for the full version. 


Company name:.........................................................

New company registration checklist



Form 64-8 (agent authority)

Form to authorise an accountant or adviser as your tax agent for dealing with HMRC. 

This covers assistance with corporation tax, PAYE, VAT and income tax.

This form is easily completed online provided that you have registered to use HMRC’s online service and have the correct agent code. 

Failing that, print out and send in a Form 64-8 by post.


Registering online via Government Gateway 

If a Gateway account was not set up on incorporation you need to set one up.

1. Request a Government Gateway account

2. Once Gateway details are received, use HMRC's online service to register for Corporation Tax.

2. Corporation Tax online will be available in the online account once the registration has been completed.


Register with HMRC (old company tax form CT41-g)

(This is sent out directly by HMRC when a new company is formed and is no longer available to download online.)

For company formation, see Formation checklist.


Registration for VAT

Use HMRC’s online form






Follow the instructions: HMRC How to register as an employer

and then 

and then, when you have your PAYE reference number,


Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

A contractor must register with HMRC before paying their first subcontractor. To register as a contractor follow the process for setting up as a new employer.

A subcontractor must register with HMRC to reduce the tax deducted by contractors to 20% or nil if they are eligible for gross payment status. Fill in the online registration form.


Non-tax registrations and changes

Companies House: Register for web filing.

Register changes in:

  • Directors or company secretary, appointments or details.
  • Change company year-end.

Visit Companies House website


Directors registration forms:

Form AP01 - appointment (Companies House)

Form SA01 - registering for Self Assessment