Where individuals have multiple employments or are both employed and self-employed (including in a partnership), a cap (the 'annual maxima') limits the total National Insurance Contributions (NICs) payable.

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to the cap on National Insurance Contributions (NICs).

Subscribers see National Insurance: What's the maximum payable?

At a glance

  • Employees (employed earners) pay Class 1 NICs. 
  • Self-employed individuals pay Class 2 and Class 4 NICs. 
  • Two separate calculations determine the Maximum NICs payable.
  • For years up to 2014-15, taxpayers had to pay the full amount NIC and then claim back any excess after the year-end.
  • From 2015-16 onwards, the calculations should be performed automatically as part of the tax calculation for the year with only the actual NICs due for the year being paid.
  • If an overpayment of Class 1 NICs is likely, it is possible to request a deferment. 

See National Insurance: What's the maximum payable? for details of the annual maxima calculations, including examples.

Useful guides on this topic

National Insurance: What's the maximum payable?
How are National Insurance Contributions (NICs) limited? What is the maximum payable? What different rules apply to employment and self-employment income? 

National Insurance for landlords
When are National Insurance Contributions (NICs) payable by landlords? Can landlords pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily?

Squirrel ad

Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use www.rossmartin.co.uk as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE SME Topical Tax Update & newletter