How to check your PAYE code. PAYE code error, or the wrong PAYE code? How to contact HMRC.

You can contact HMRC via email or phone in order to report that your PAYE tax code is wrong.

Use our checklist below to ensure that HMRC details of your wages, pension or other employment benefits in order that they may work out the correct PAYE tax code.

Checklist: Information required:

  • Your National Insurance number.
  • Your contact email address.
  • Your full name, including any middle name(s).
  • Your date of birth.
  • Your weekly amount of any State Pension/State Benefits.
  • Your estimated income for the current tax year (including wages and company work pension).
  • Your employer/pension provider tax reference number.
  • Your employee works number or if you receive a company/personal pension, your pension number.
  • Your company benefit details (including company car, fuel and medical benefits).
  • Your other untaxed taxed income such as income from property or interest.

Click here to email HMRC

Alternatively, you can try and ring HMRC on its income tax Helpline 0300 200 3300.

Please note that we are not HMRC, we are just providing you with information to contact HMRC.


Enjoying the Practical Tax content on 

Sign up now to receive a unique FREE Tax Planning Tips and Advice Guide & our FREE Newsletter.

.Squirrel ad