This week we have a mini update on Scottish Taxes together with a couple of topical case reviews. We will be back next week with our usual web-update mix of news, case reviews and practical guides.
The Scottish Income Tax is due to be introduced from April 2016, with the initial rate expected to be announced in November. Land and Buildings Transaction Tax is already being charged in respect of property which is situated in Scotland.
Scottish income tax will affect every taxpayer who lives in Scotland: an estimated 3 million individuals. Research carried out by HMRC indicates that awareness of the upcoming changes is extremely low.
We have two new subscriber guides for you with information about the scope and charging provisions of these new taxes.
Nichola Ross Martin FCA Tax Director
Your Virtual Tax Partner®: online PRACTICAL support for accountants & tax advisers BY accountants & tax advisers.
Tribunal suspends penalties on the condition that a taxpayer appoints a qualified tax agent
Unqualified tax agents and the members of some of the professional bodies not mentioned by the judge may be upset by the perceived bias over professional qualifications.
Corporate meeting facilities allowed and VAT was reclaimable
In Merlin Scientific LLP v HMRC  TC04441, the First Tier Tribunal (FTT) overturned HMRC's refusal to allow a deduction against taxable profits and a credit for input VAT in respect of corporate meeting services. There was a minimal amount of business entertaining and HMRC's proposal to restrict deduction to 2/3 was unsustainable.
Subscriber Scottish Taxes
Two new guides to:
Missed last time's update?
- Restricting mortgage interest relief for buy to let landlords
- Dividends: the new tax regime
- Research & Development relief: top tips
- What makes a valid VAT invoice
- Disincorporation relief
- CPD Roundups: Capital Taxes, Land & Property
Come and join our Cloud
Subscribe (and UNLOCK the whole site) A single user annual subscription is £325 (+ VAT). Prices increase to £345 (+ VAT) on 1 Oct.
What do you get?
- We keep YOU up to date in SME tax.
- FULL access to www.rossmartin.co.uk: your firm's personal TAX INTRANET containing over 1,500 actively maintained tax guides, briefings, toolkits and checklists.
- Want to know more? Commission your own articles and checklists.
- Structured CPD: our detailed SME tax updates "for Advisers Only" provide topical summaries and planning notes.
- Regular client tax briefings: these cover the latest business and employment tax issues and are designed to assist you plan meetings and improve your client services.
- Nichola’s regular SME tax news web-update: we do the reading and cherry pick the best of the taxpress, magazines and websites for you.
- You can also commission guides and checklists for your own practice, post comments and upload your own articles.
- Access to the Virtual Tax Partner ® service provides subscribers with FREE quick calls and a discount of on phone, email and tax support and mentoring.