HMRC has updated form 64-8. Agents are advised to use the new form from 31 March 2022 on. Form 64-8 is the form used to authorise a tax agent to act on your behalf. The new form now allows a combined registration for PAYE and CIS online services

The new form 64-8 was released on 31 March 2022. 

Use this form to give authorisation for an agent to deal directly with HMRC on your behalf, such as:

  • an accountant
  • a tax agent
  • an adviser

If the person you want to authorise is not in any of these professions, you can appoint a 'trusted helper'.

A person appointed as a tax agent is able to register you and deal with your tax affairs for:

  • Self Assessment
  • PAYE
  • CIS
  • VAT
  • Tax Credits
  • and Corporation Tax.

WARNING: a 64-8 does not allow an Agent to:

  • To be authorised an agent to manage your Making Tax Digital services (this is done separately)
  • Create an online Self Assessment account with HMRC (you must do this your self).
  • Access to the Trust Registration Service (trustees must register to access this service)

Other Agent authority forms

Tax Credit and Child Benefit: form TC689

  • Use form TC689 to authorise someone to act on your behalf for Tax Credit and Child Benefit matters.

PAYE and CIS online: form FBI2

  • The new 64-8 form now covers authorising a tax agent to use PAYE and Construction Industry Scheme online services.
  • Old Form FBI2 is still available if you choose to use that instead.

If you want to submit a subject access request (find out about a person's tax information, say if they have died)

Useful guides on this topic

A new business? Start here...
Starting in business? Our 'At a glance' guide takes you through the key steps in getting started for tax, with links helping you drill down for more detail.

Self-employed: Registering for tax
You are self-employed, you have started working for yourself, what do you need to do to now? How to register for tax.

VAT: Starting in business
One of the first decisions to make when starting in business is whether or not you should register for VAT.

Badges of Trade: Are you trading or not?
Are you trading, running a business, or just buying and selling investments? Why on earth is there any distinction between them? The 'Badges of Trade' are a set of indicators, built up over time by the courts, to decide when an activity is a trading or investment activity.

Anti-Money Laundering Zone
Essentials for accountant and adviser compliance with the Anti-Money Laundering regulations

External links

HMRC guidance: New form 64-8

Small acorn
If you like our content come and join us.

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our FREE weekly SME Tax News update.