Working via an agency: how to spot whether you are being paid correctly. This guide shows you what to expect.

This is a freeview guide.

At a glance

If you obtain contract work via an employment agency, you should normally expect it to deduct tax and National Insurance from your wages.

Some agencies operate illegal tax avoidance schemes: you can tell that something is potentially wrong if an agency offers you higher take home pay than other agencies, based on the same gross wages.

Let's have a look at an example of a monthly payslip to illustrate some of the issues.

For example, you have been recruited by a staffing agency and you agree to work on a fixed-term contract that pays £21 per hour. You worked 160 hours on a job that started on 6 April 2024, your gross pay is £3,360 and you have no other employment.

We would expect that your April 2024 payslip would show deductions and net pay as follows:

Gross pay £3,360.00  
PAYE £   462.20 Deductions are as calculated below  
Employee NIC £   184.96
Net pay (take home) £2,712.84  


If the agency has promised that your take-home pay is going to be more than shown, the chances are that something is wrong. 

The calculations to arrive at the payslip above are in the Calculations tab.

Warning! If your payslip looks more like this, you should be concerned:

Gross pay £1,000.00
Loan/contribution/travel expenses/[some other description]  £2,360.00
PAYE £       0.00
Employee NIC £       0.00
Net pay (take home) £3,360.00

As you can see part of your gross pay is now called 'Loan/contribution/travel expenses/[some other description]' and that part of your pay is treated as being tax-free.

The agency may suggest that you use an Umbrella company or it may suggest some other variation or scheme which will supposedly give you higher take-home pay. They will very probably explain that the scheme is legal (when it is not).

HMRC published a tax Spotlight: ‘Umbrella companies offering to increase your take-home pay recently. This highlighted the fact that many employees and self-employed contractors are failing to realise that some staff agencies and umbrella companies are flouting tax anti-abuse rules.

  • If so, you will be sent some extra paperwork that provides some kind of agreement or details about the Loan/contribution/travel expenses/[some other description]. If that comes from a non-UK source, then that is potentially a bad sign. It is unwise to sign any agreement unless you are 100% sure about its legality. Also, check that you are not being charged extra fees for this 'service'.
  • If there is any mention of a loan or tax-free contribution, it's likely that you are party to a Disguised Remuneration-type scheme.

In terms of any deduction for Travel expenses, it is unlikely that any of your home to work travel or daily subsistence is tax-deductible because you are on a fixed-term contract.

  • Even if you are on a zero-hours agency contract, the fact that it's an agency contract, the Employment intermediaries travel rules will in most cases prevent you from receiving tax relief on the costs of commuting.

In this example, you are avoiding paying any Income Tax because only £1,000 of your earnings is being processed as taxable income and the balance of £2,360 is not treated as gross pay. 

  • You can earn up to £12,570 per year tax-free (in 2024-25). This is your personal tax allowance. That is £1,047.50 per month, which is more than your so-called gross pay of £1,000 and no tax is due.
  • You have a nil employee NICs liability because you pay NICs on earnings above £242 per week, (£1,048 per month).

If you are not being fully taxed on the amount of pay that you have earned (in this example, that is the £3,360), the chances are that your agency or the agent running the payroll is operating an illegal tax-avoidance model.

If you are the victim of this type of agency and you have signed up to agree to a contractor loan or whatever the agreement is called, HMRC will be able to come after you for the missing tax deductions. In this case £647.16 per month. This could be expensive if this goes on for several months, or even years.

HMRC provides an Interactive Tool for Contractors and this should help you to work out if you are at risk of tax avoidance. 

Other items to look out for on your payslips include: 

  • Employer name: check this is as you are expecting, and not a different company or individual. 
  • Employer's PAYE reference number: make sure this is shown. 
  • Pension deductions: have you been Auto-enrolled
  • Minimum wage: have you been paid in accordance with minimum wage legislation? 

Oak ad
Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE weekly SME Tax News updates.