The deadline for registering for Self Assessment is 5 October following the end of the tax year.

There is an obligation to notify HMRC of chargeability to income tax and capital gains tax within 6 months of the end of the tax year.

You have an obligation to Notify HMRC of chargeability to tax if you have, during the tax year:

  • Received self employed income of £1,000, before expenses, or more.
  • Made a capital gain over your annual allowance
  • Employment income that is not taxed under PAYE. 
  • Dividend income and further tax to pay on that income.
  • Any other untaxed income or are liable to tax at higher rates.

You must also notify HMRC if you have to report that you are subject to the High Income Child Benefit Charge

If you fail to make such notification and have unpaid tax as at 31 January following the end of the tax year, penalties will be due unless you have Reasonable excuse for the failure. You can register with HMRC for self-assessment here


Penalties; failure to notify

Do I have to file a tax return?

Do I need to file a tax return (directors)



Wouldn’t it be great and think how much TIME it would SAVE you if someone:

  • READ all the latest tax news, case decisions, new legislation and articles in tax and then summarised them for you?
  • Only alerted you to things that are RELEVANT to you?

How about if that someone also:

  • Updated those summaries in REAL TIME for you
  • ADDED examples, planning points, toolkits and calculators, and
  • Linked all that information together and also provided you with CPD?

Thousands of firms of accountants and advisers are already using as their primary TAX resource.

At a cost of just £1 per day, it’s a no brainer: FREE up your MIND and your TIME (and your wallet).

And...we run our Virtual Tax Partner support service, if you need assistance with a particular query or technical issue.